Friday, September 3, 2010

Some Opening Thoughts

Wednesday, September 1st, 2010—Seat 45G, Lufthansa flight 411, Somewhere over the Atlantic


   Over the past year and a half, I have slowly come to realize how lucky a person I am. I have grown up in a loving and supporting family whose financial security has allowed me to live a happy life filled with swimming, school, and friends. The deep darkness of the sky surrounding the Airbus A340 that is carrying me further and further from this existence confirms that the sun has indeed set upon the first chapter of my life. The time has come to leave the nest, and I have launched myself faster and farther into the world than I ever imagined was possible. It is undoubtedly an exciting time, and I ready to begin.

   As my imagination is propelled skyward by the thought of the magnificent adventure I am about to embark upon, I am also aware of a nervous weight in the middle of my stomach. This nervousness, of course, is completely natural. Humans are, after all, naturally social animals. We are bound together by shared experiences and values, and we are supported by the web of connections that these interactions create. Whether we are at work, at school, or simply at home with our families or friends, we spend the vast majority of our lives creating these relationships. To completely leave this island of support and stability is naturally uncomfortable, but is also naturally necessary. As we discussed during our orientation, departure from the comfort zone signifies entrance into the learning zone, and nothing is more necessary than learning.

   Soon, I will begin a new life in a completely foreign environment. I won’t know the language when I arrive, but I will learn. I will be immersed in an unfamiliar culture, but I will adapt. I will be challenged with new opportunities to serve, and I will rise to meet them. Once again, I am lucky. I have been handed an opportunity to learn and explore another culture through service, and I plan to gain an understanding that will allow me to serve as a bridge between cultures.

2 comments:

  1. Zach, This is a great start and I know you are looking foreward to your adventure. Have a great time. I am looking forward to your updates!

    Aunt Christa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to sharing your adventures thanks to technology. I love your shirt - awesome! Good choice Luv ya
    Mimi & Papa

    ReplyDelete